Thursday, January 13, 2005

The Kirov's Cinderella in the Washington Post

There is an exceptionally well-written review of the Kirov Ballet's "Cinderella" in the Washington Post today. It perfectly balances the opinion with description, giving the reader a perfect insight into what was seen on stage, while analyzing it as well. It basically is what I've tried (with less success as of yet) to do in my own reviews...I'll have to work at it.

The Kirov's 'Cinderella' Rises Out of the Ashes
There's something quite strange about the Kirov Ballet's "Cinderella," which opened Tuesday at the Kennedy Center Opera House, and it's neither the enchanted scullery maid's deconstructed SoHo setting nor the homoeroticism that is woven into the prince's search for her. What is most unusual about this production is the ruthlessness with which choreographer Alexei Ratmansky adheres to his theme that dancing is a mirror of the soul. To do this, he has bestowed all the best steps upon the title figure and her prince, while the rest of the cast is a caricature of awkwardness and vulgarity.

Sarah Kaufman, the author, is an excellent dance writer and reporter. I learn something every time I read her stories, both about the subject matter and about reporting and writing itself. She knows how to ask the questions that count, and to fold them into the narrative of a well-written newspaper piece. Then, she backs it all up with hard research and solid facts - meanwhile, condensing it to consise - and short - digestible sentences.

No comments: