Sunday, October 08, 2006

Musings from the opera (LA Opera's Manon)


Anna Netrebko and Rolando Villazon in the LA Opera's Manon. Photo: Robert Millard.

Went to the sold-out matinee of LA Opera's Manon today at the Music Center. This was supposed to be the hot opera ticket of the month, with international superstars Anna Netrebko and Rolando Villazon singing the leading roles. You can tell why they are opera's hot young couple - Netrebko is gorgeous to look at and to listen to, and Villazon just exudes sexy, burning passion on stage. Together, they are radiant.

The performance was just fine. I mean, I totally recognized that the artists were at the top of their game and the music was wonderful. But really, I was somewhat bored. The performance ran 3 hrs and 20 minutes, and though the arias soared, the drama never did for me. The operas I've seen most recently - this one and La Traviata in September - seem to take place in episodes: isolated scenes occur and the characters just go ahead and do things. Motivations and full plot points are not fully explained on stage, so you'll have to read the program to get everything. (Come to think of it, this happens in a lot of operas too. La Boheme takes place in four episodes, occuring months apart. Just as in Boheme, the lovers of Manon suddenly make rash decisions (like betraying a lover, for one) in the space of a song lyric.)


(Photos: Robert Millard)

Maybe because I'm more used to theater and film storytelling that I expect complete drama. Yes I get that in opera, the drama is supposed to be inherent in the music. The lyrics and the melody are to convey the passions and stuff. And even if it does, without a dramatic framework, to me it becomes generic and less appealing. Oh and then there's the matter of length. I am openly a member of the MTV generation, but really I still dont think dramatic tension can be appropriately sustained across three and a half hours. Am I just not getting something about opera?

Still, though, I was occasionally drawn in when Rolando and Anna were up on stage together. Netrebko sounds beautiful and looks beautiful as well. Clearly, the director knows this and uses every opportunity to dress her in the skimpiest costumes possible. She even does a pole dance late in Act 2 while wearing a skimpy gold dress; she learingly swivels her ass at the audience and wraps her legs around the pole while belting out an aria about her love of the carefree life. Oh, and then there's the bedroom scene in Act 1 - Netrebko and Villazon's chemistry is used to full advantage as the pair run on stage in a pillow fight. Then, as Villazon reads a letter in bed, Netrebko places the letter in between her legs... and makes him read it from there. Racy. Oh yeah and did I mention they sounded good?

I guess I'll have to pick and choose what opera I go to see from now on. Can't say I haven't given opera a chance - I've been to a lot of major opera now, and have really enjoyed a lot of it. But it just hasn't captured my imagination the way theatre, dance and the good old symphony have. Maybe I just wasn't meant to be an opera fanatic.

No comments: