CAROLINE, OR CHANGE was brilliant. It's one of the most original things I have seen in a long while, and it's refreshing to see that new, interesting material is still being written for musical theatre. Especially after that schlock that was "Wonderful Town" last night. To be honest, I had no idea what to expect with "Caroline" - I heard it was a new musical, and I recognized the names Tony Kushner and Jeanine Tesori. So when I bought my ticket at the TKTS booth yesterday (you can buy matinee tickets one day early at the South Street Seaport booth), I was just filling an open time slot in my schedule. What do you know it is the most interesting thing I've seen this whole time here.
The thing about this show is that it is about very normal people, doing very normal things. There isn't much of a dramatic story arc, and nothing much happens during the show. But the music and the lyrics brilliantly capture the drama of everyday life, and they get right at the heart of what these characters feel and think. And you see it from all perspectives. I was quite moved by the show.
Evening was spent at NEW YORK CITY BALLET. Ashley Bouder is a stunning dancer.
No comments:
Post a Comment