Her Majesty’s Theatre
May 24 matinee
![]() |
| Her Majesty's Theatre, home of "The Phantom of the Opera" for more than 18 years. |
A long-running tourist trap of a spectacle, “Phantom” is hardly cutting edge or life altering theatre any more. But I still think it’s good fun. The show is still trudging along quite well in its London production – I mean it’s not exactly soul stirring anymore (was it ever?) and the principals are decent but not spectacular. Still though, all those sets and all that corny but seductive music makes me smile every time. Such a fun show that I know I’m supposed to hate, but still I don’t. For a full thoughts on "Phantom of the Opera" see my review of the recent movie version.
GUYS AND DOLLS
Picadilly Theatre
May 25 matinee
![]() |
| Curtain call for Guys and Dolls |
This was a decent production, but nothing particularly memorable. The principal attraction here was movie star Ewan McGregor playing Sky Masterson and TV actress Jane Krakowski as Adelaide. And they were nice to see, particularly in the book scenes, but again, nothing spectacular. Ewan was particularly good in his acting (his forte, of course), but seemed to clam up and get nervous while singing. His voice is a kind of monotone wail that hits notes, but offers little by way of texture or warmth. He is serviceable, though, and the audience loved seeing him on stage. Jane Krakowski was a bit too much Jane Krakowski and not enough Adelaide – fun and sexy though, I guess. One wonders, if the pair didn’t have fame from Hollywood, would ever have been cast as principals in a musical? The rest of the production is very attractive, and the chorus in particular is very energetic. Not much more to say than that, though. Good but not great.



No comments:
Post a Comment