Thursday, May 17, 2007

Indecision

I can only go to one performance this weekend on Saturday, and I'm having major trouble deciding:

Merce Cunningham or Nacho Duato?


MERCE CUNNINGHAM DANCE COMPANY is doing this neat-sounding multi venue piece at the Orange County Performing Arts Center. He's a major American modern dance choreographer, and I've missed every single one of this company's local performances for various reasons (out of town, prior commitements, whatever). And this event sounds very cool: it starts with a new piece created specifically for OCPAC's new concert hall, then moves out onto the new plaza in between the new hall and the 'old' hall, and then moves into the old hall for eyeSpace, a piece where the audience gets to plug in their own ipods for that sound to accompany what they're watching on stage. It's an all-around very interesting sounding event.

But this sounds fascinating, too:

COMPANIA NACIONAL DE DANZA 2 performing Spanish choreographer Nacho Duato's works on a mixed bill program. This is the younger subset of Duato's main company, but the review from Orange County this weekend - which I couldn't go to - makes it sound like a fully professional company, and has lots of really great things to say about the repertory. And I like Duato's choreography; "Remansos" is on ABT's Variety and Virtuosity performance that went out on PBS several years ago.

I've really, really liked a lot of the European contemporary dance I've seen recently - especially Kylian - which is why I want to see CND2. But Merce is suppposed to be "important."

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

tonya said...

The Cunningham sounds so interesting -- especially the ipod thing! The Duato sounds good too, but I think (not sure, but I think) Kristin on the Winger blogged earlier about going to something by this younger company and not seeing what she expected (his regular company). I know, though, I saw his piece on Virtue and Virtuosity too and loved it! Whichever you end up going to,definitely let us know how it is!

Anonymous said...

I say go see Nacho Duato's company. It is rare for his own dancers to be performing in the US. I have seen CND2 before, and I can assure you that they are much better than most 'first' companies. Like Kylian did with NDT2, Nacho created a powerhouse with these young dancers.