Thursday, September 20, 2007

Manhattan Theatre Club's Mauritius



Loved this play: Mauritius, by Theresa Rebeck and directed by Doug Hughes (Tony winner for Doubt), currently at the Biltmore Theatre, Manhattan Theatre Club's very plush and new Broadway home. The story revolves around two very rare postage stamps that several stamp collectors are scheming to get their hands on, and the unknowing girl who has them in her possession, she having a miserable past and could really use the money from selling them to start her life fresh. I was gripped by the story throughtout, thought Hughes directed it sharply and intellengently, and the performances were fantastic all around: Alison Pill as the lead girl, with Bobby Cannavale, F. Murray Abraham, Katie Finneran and Dylan Baker. I was guessing throughout the play, which character, if any of them, are really trustworthy or worth rooting for - I love that character complexity in a dramatic work. I have to compare the experience to Harry Potter since, sadly, it was the last major thing I read (over a month ago), but I remember being annoyed at the simple black and white nature of the characters: they're either evil or they're not, and you can tell from the beginning. Of course it's a children's novel so the character complexity of Mauritius should rightly not be expected, but I've seen simplistic characters so many times also during the last month from movies and TV.

Mauritius has so far been the most interesting thing that I've seen on this trip.

And I must go to bed. Really. Have to get up early for that Met rehearsal!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have fun at the met!!!!